For analysis like this, I find Fangraphs the best site to look at. Comparing 2009 to 2010 we find:
- Mujica's K/9, BB/9, WHIP, and BABIP are all better this year than they were in 2009. In some cases, significantly so (like BABIP is currently 100 points better, .213 from .316)
- He's throwing more ground balls (his GB/FB rate is up) and giving up fewer line drives (13.2% vice 17.2%0
- His velocities are about the same:
- Fastball averaging 92.4 (2010), 92.7 last year
- Slider averaging 82.1, 82.7 last year
- Split finger fastball averaging 87.5, 86.9 last year
- Hitters contact rates are virtually identical to what they were last year. Hitters are swinging at more pitches out of the zone, and Mujica is getting more swinging strikes.
All his metrics indicate he's pitching better, but he's getting hammered by the long ball. Odd.