Spent an hour talking to Steve Adler of Friarhood, Peter Friberg of Padres RunDown, and Web SoulSurfer of websoulsurfer last night on the Podcast. We also had Mike from Avenging Jack Murphy, and for a time RJ's Fro in the chatroom during the discussion. That's a lot of Padres expertise in one chat, and it generated a high level of discussion, references to Joe Randa aside.
Some of the highlights:
- No issues with Jon Garland/Chris Young making the opening day starts (on the road and at home, respectively). Who the leader of this staff will be needs to be sorted out amongst the guys in the rotation; it may not be Young by default based on seniority.
- Wade LeBlanc will definitely be up this season, if for no other reason than attrition during the 162-game season.
- Lots of discussion on potential trades should the Padres fall out of the race. Heath Bell, Chris Young, Gonzo moving all covered. Listening to the podcast is worth it just for that part.
- The Padres are pretty deep at second base, according to Pete. I was not aware of this. Even if Antonelli doesn't carry his spring training success into the AAA schedule, the Padres have some up and comers in their farm system.
- All agreed Catcher is still an organizational concern, but aren't worried about the offensive production from that position as much as how they call a game, shut down the opposition's running game, and so on. Lots of love for Hundley (and some for Dusty Ryan), not so much for Torrealba.
A great way to conclude the spring training season and get ready for Opening Day on Monday at Arizona. Besides, the Padres beat Anaheim in Anaheim while the podcast was in progress - doesn't get much better than that.
World Series Preview . . . with a 5 year-old
7 months ago